Saturday, May 26, 2012

Campaign dollars swirl around Virginia polls

I just did a telephone survey for Target Consulting Group paid for by the Republican party. I typically lean 55-45 to republicans. For this election cycle, I am quite turned off by the evangelical base, racist policies towards immigrants and the 'loser mentality.'  Although, I do think Romney would be a decent president. However, I just so happen to like Obama better, and the fact that he still coaches his own daughter's basketball team.

Republicans have done a very good job at alienating educated middle class voters such as myself.  For example, as a resident living in Northern Virginia, the presence of immigrants contributes to the overall health of the economy.  First off, they are consumers, soaking up excess housing supply and buying consumer goods (necessities actually, which is a different definition than most people have).  Secondly, the contribution to the labor market is a boom in the form of competition.  Not only do they have an incredible work ethic, they work for a fair price and promote honest competition. If anything, the workers I hire, I often worry that I am not paying them enough money for the job! Finally, they exemplify the spirit of America better than most Americans I know.  Moreover, they are risk takers and entrepreneurs similar to the founding fathers of the country, ultimately seeking peace of mind and a better opportunity for their families. 

Overall, immigration is a boom to local markets. It is no coincidence that the economic and population growth is correlated with a greater presence of minorities. The 'loser mentality' often leads to Republicans leaning too far right to persuade donations from the evangelical base, the same way (I resented) Democrats did during the Bush years.  It will become increasingly difficult to win national elections by alienating a significant portion of the population in women, minorities and educated voters.  Best of luck, biatches.

No comments:

Post a Comment